Blood Donation Process
Donating blood is a simple thing to do, but can make a big difference in the lives of others. The donation process from the time one arrives until the time they leave takes about an hour. The donation itself is only about 8-10 minutes on average.
The steps in the process are
Donor Questionnaire Fill-up
- Please ensure that your read and understand all the information presented and answer all the question truthfully. Any incorrect statement or concealment may affect your health or may harm the recipient.
Blood Donation Awareness
- Basic Laboratory Test: Hemoglobin and Blood Group
General Physical Examination:
- One would will complete Donor registration, which includes information such as Name, address, phone number etc…..
- We will cleanse an area on the arm and insert a brand–new, sterile needle for the blood draw. This feels like a quick pinch and is over in seconds.
- There will be some time to relax while the bag is filling. (For a whole blood donation, it is about 8-10 minutes. For Platelet Donation, by Apheresis the collection can take up to 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- After donating, one should have a snack and something to drink in the refreshments area. Donor can leave the site after 10-15 minutes and continue with the normal daily activities.
Post Donation Care
Instructions given below are informed to Donors by the phlebotomist and thank the Donor for his valuable contribution.
- ]Light refreshment is provided and advised to take rest for 10 to 15 minutes
- ]If one feel dizzy, lie or sit down, with the head between the knees until one feel comfortable
- ]Inform the doctor/paramedical staff before leaving
- ]Do not smoke for at least half an hour
- ]If there is bleeding from phlebotomy site raise the arm and apply pressure
- ]Drink more than the usual amount of fluids and avoid alcohol intake for 24 hours
- ]Do not drive for 1 hour after donation, for the sake of Donor & public safety
- ]Avoid lifting heavy weights and exercising for 24 hours
- ]Leave the band-aid for 4 to 6 hours
- ]If one get a bruise:Apply ice to the area intermittently for 10-15 minutes during the first 24 hours. Thereafter, apply warm, moist heat to the area intermittently for 10-15 minutes. A rainbow of colors may occur for about 10 days
- ]If there is dizziness or lightheaded:Stop what one would be doing, lie down, and raise the feet until the feeling passes and you feel well enough to safely resume activities
- ]And remember to enjoy the feeling of knowing that Blood donation has helped save lives!